Sunday, January 24, 2016

Supper on a Bread Slice

One of my goals for this year was to be better about planning menus.  This includes trying new recipes.  I dug deep into my recipe box for this one my mom used to make, Supper on a Bread Slice.

Growing up, my mother was a stay at home mom.  My dad didn't make much money, he was a clerk for a medical supply company.  Mom had a very strict grocery budget.  Until I got married, I never realized what a great job she did feeding our family of five on that budget.

Dinner time at our house was at 5:15 every night.  No excuses.  We couldn't have friends hanging out waiting for us, they had to go home.  We also sat at the dinner table, said grace and there was no television or radio allowed to be on in the house.  Some folks would say it sounds kind of strict.  But really those were the good old days with family.
Mom's handwritten recipe.

Supper on a Bread Slice

2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup cracker crumbs
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 egg
1 tablespoon mustard
2 cups grated cheese
one loaf french bread
slice cheese for top garnish

Combine ingredients.  Cut one loaf of french bread in half lengthwise.  Spread meat mixture evenly over top surface of bread.  Then wrap in foild around crust side of each half leaving tops uncovered.  Place on cookie sheet and bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.  Garnish with strips of cheese and bake 5 minutes longer.  

This is one half of the loaf.

My portion to begin with.  It is so filling that I only ate the left piece.


I forgot how much this made!  Since it's just my husband and I now, we have been eating on this for several meals.  I just put the last couple of pieces in the freezer for a later day.

No comments:

Post a Comment